If you are a heavy instant message user, you now have the ability to chat with Facebook user directly from Pidgin! In addition to all of the IM happiness, you can also “send & receive messages, add or remove friends, receive notifications, search for Facebook friends and set your Facebook status”.
There are two components to this walk through:
You can also choose to download Facebook icons that will be displayed in your IM window when you hover over a contact (just like when you hover over a contact that’s on a different protocol). Look for “facebook_icons.zip” in the downloads section. Windows users, extract the archive to:
Linux users, extract to:
- Install Pidgin.
- Install Facebook Chat for Pidgin.
- In the main chat window and on the tool bar, click Accounts>Manage Accounts.
- Click the “Add” button.
- In the Add Account dialog, select “Facebook” as protocol.
- Enter in your Facebook user name and password.
- Accept the security certificate.
Now, your Facebook friends will show up in their own group!
There are some more options under the Advanced tab. These options include:
- Hide myself in the Buddy List
- Set Facebook status though Pidgin status
- Show Facebook notifications as emails in Pidgin
- Edit Facebook friends from Pidgin