Recently, Songbird 1.0 was release to much fanfare. As both a Pidgin and Twitter user, I wanted Songbird to tweet and update my “Now Playing” status automatically (the IM accounts that support this feature, most do). Through a couple of plugins, I was able to get the whole thing working. Follow along with my quick tutorial and set it up for yourself!
You need a couple of things before you get started. Download each of the following installers and plugins to your desktop:
If you’re a really audiophile or social networking junkie, you can install/sign up for a couple of other services and automatically update them all!
- Last.FM: Install Songbird’s Last.FM addon to update your Last.FM account as well.
- Facebook: Update your Facebook feed with your most recently listened to tracks (this option requires a Last.FM account)
- MySpace: Update your MySpace profile with your most recently listened to tracks (this application also requires a Last.FM account)
- Windows Live: Update your Windows Live profile with your most recently listened to tracks (this option requires a Twitter account). To configure, navigate to the “web activities” area on your profile.
First off, install Songbird, Pidgin and sign up for a Twitter account.
- Open Songbird.
- On the menu bar, click Tools -> Addons
- In the Options dialog, and in the “Add-ons” section, click the install button.
- Navigate to your desktop and install the LiveTweeter-*.xpi file.
- Restart Songbird and go back to the Addons dialog.
- Under the LiveTwitter section enter in the following:
- On the Twitter tab, under the General heading, enter in your Twitter user name and password.
- On the Twitter tab, under the Options heading, tick the “Post for each song” check box.
- On the Messenger tab, under the General heading, tick the “Activate MSN/Windows Live Messenger” check box.
- Navigate to your computer’s desktop and install the pidgin-musictracker-* program (Windows users: Double click the executable. Linux users: extract the tar.bz and issue install/make commands in the Terminal)
- Once instillation is complete, open Pidgin.
- On the menu bar, click Tools -> Plugins.
- In the Plugins dialog, enable the “MusicTracker” plugin and click the “Configure Plugin” button.
- In the MusicTracker dialog set the following options:
- In the Player drop down, set the type to “Auto-detect”.
- Under the Other settings section, tick the “Don’t change status message if protocol has working ‘now listening’” check box.
- Click the “Close” button for each of the dialogs.
Now, every time a new song is played, Songbird will automatically update Twitter and your Now Playing status in Pidgin!