Lets learn how to log off of your machine with a simple double-click of a button!
I know that the Log Off button is tucked neatly inside the Start menu, but we can place shortcut on the desktop or even in the Quick Launch toolbar! Also, I like editing/hacking/customizing stuff!
This trick is very similar to shutting down your computer with a batch file, we just need to change the switch that we pass! More information on the shutdown command and it’s switches.
First, create a batch file with the following commands:
shutdown -l -f
The “-l” switch tells the computer to log off and the “-f” switch closes all running applications – that’s all you need!
Save the file. I prefer to save my batch files in the Programs Files folder in the c:\ drive. They are program after all!
How To Add An Icon
- Right-click the batch file and click “Create Shortcut“
- Right-click the shortcut and click properties
- Under the “Shortcut” tab, click “Change Icon . . .” This will pop-up the following error:
- After clicking “OK”, a dialog should open displaying all of the icons in the location:
- Find one that you like and click “OK”
- You could get nutty and place this shortcut in your Quick Launch folder by typing Windows Key+R, then:
"C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"